Would you like to work with Splash? How does a day spent in nature connecting with kids and families sound to you? Splash is looking to hire field guides and docents for our exciting programs!
We are planning to deliver in-person field trips for school classes and more at the Nicolaus Dairy in Elk Grove starting in September and around the vernal pool grasslands at Mather Field beginning in early 2023. In preparation, we need to hire enthusiastic, part-time, seasonal docents and field guides to help lead these groups and engage them with hands-on activities. Starting pay is minimum wage, with an increase upon satisfactory completion of all training.
VERNAL POOL FIELD GUIDES
POSTED 10 NOV 22
We are planning to deliver in-person field trips for school classes and public groups around the vernal pool grasslands at Mather Field this spring. In preparation, we need to hire enthusiastic, part-time, seasonal guides to help lead these groups in the field and engage them with hands-on science activities in the Splash Center.
- Seasonal guides for our vernal pool programs will lead three-hour field trips for groups of 10-12 elementary students, facilitating the students’ discoveries in the vernal pool grassland. The guides will also lead indoor activities at the Splash Center, such as helping students identify aquatic invertebrates at the microscope station, demonstrating the watershed/stormwater quality model, and showing live animals in our Critterville room.
- We also hope that the seasonal guides for the Field Trips will help lead our five (5) 2-hour Vernal Pool Public Walks in spring each year – Critter Walks in March and Flower Walks in April and May. Help us highlight the many critters and/or flowers in Mather Field! Hundreds of families and individuals come to explore with us! Guides may also help lead indoor activities at the Splash Center, similar to the field trips.
- With Field Guide support, Splash also delivers extracurricular programming for Nature Bowl teams, Scout groups, homeschool groups, and more…providing watershed-related learning and experiences tailored to the needs of the group.
- Essential qualifications include a background and interest in biology / natural history, a love of nature, an ability and desire to work with children, an engaging and friendly personality, and a commitment to work the entire 2023 field trip season from January to early May.
If interested in helping Splash teach kids about nature and our watershed, please email a cover letter and resumé to email@example.com.
PROJECT AWE DOCENTS
POSTED 08 SEP 22 (updated 14 Sep 22)
The school year has started already in Elk Grove, CA and the nearby historic Nicolaus Dairy is prepping for a plethora of programs, offered through Project AWE. Project AWE is a collaborative effort of Sacramento Splash and the Sacramento Regional County Sanitation District (Regional San), offering educational opportunities in the areas of Agriculture, Water, Energy, and the Environment (AWE). Project AWE will host field trips for 200 classes during this school year, serving about 6,000 students!
- Docents will staff one or more stations at which students will learn from them and experience topics including: pollination, seed dispersal, where our food comes from, animal/plant life cycles, honeybees, the history of the farm and the Nicolaus family, dairy innovations over the last 100 years in California’s Central Valley, milking a life-sized mechanical cow, planting and harvesting crops, using historic tools to make new things out of old things, and making leather cow tag keychains with initials.
- Docents also help deliver extracurricular programming for Nature Bowl teams, gardening clubs, Scout groups, and more…providing Project AWE learning and experiences tailored to the needs of the group.
- To accommodate so many classes this school year, we are currently looking to hire and train 3-4 more docents to lead these engaging activities! We’re seeking outgoing, enthusiastic, and engaging docents who have experience in agriculture, education, environment, and life sciences. Don’t worry, though, we’ll train you in the specifics!
If you’d like to be part of the team and help Splash provide these mooo-ving experiences for the kids, please email a cover letter and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.