They’re on for Spring 2023!
These were on hiatus during the pandemic, but we brought Vernal Pool Public Tours back in 2022! Everyone had such a great time, we’re doing it again! We take your health and safety seriously at Splash, so our tours will follow county COVID-19 protocols and best practices.
Splash offers five Vernal Pool Public Walks in Spring each year. Join us as we highlight the many critters and/or flowers in Mather Field!
We truly appreciate the hundreds of families and individuals who have come exploring with us in the past! To be the first to hear about our public tours in 2023, please join our newsletter mailing list.
Before registering, please read this important information:
- Tours last two hours and are led by volunteer docents.
- Reservations are required and are done through Eventbrite.
- If you are making reservations for a group, you are responsible for ensuring all participants have the information they need and for updating Splash if anyone is dropping from the group program/tour.
- All tours run rain or shine. You will be walking over uneven ground in direct sun or possibly rain. Please come prepared with sturdy walking shoes, long pants, rain gear, and/or sunscreen & sun hats.
- We will invite people from the waiting list as we receive cancellations.
- If any member of your party requires special accommodations, please contact us.
- We always welcome donations in support of our environmental science programs for local school children.
January – March
During the wet phase, the Mather Field Vernal Pools host dozens of species of aquatic invertebrates. Bigger critters, who eat them, come to the pools to dine: frogs, snakes, shore birds, wading birds, and more. If you want to meet them, along with their famous pool mates the Fairy Shrimp and Tadpole Shrimp, join us for a Critter Walk on:
2023 dates: 05 March, 19 March
As the Spring sun warms the earth and the pools evaporate, the wet phase gives way to the flower phase. During the month of April, flowers bloom in an ever-changing abundance of colorful rings and patches. Each pool has its own assortment of flowers depending upon the soil, hydrology and many factors we don’t yet understand. Come explore the blooming vernal pools with us!
2023 dates at Mather: 02 April & 23 April –SOLD OUT
New – 2023 Tours at Phoenix Park dates: 16 April & 07 MayBuy Tickets
Please check back in late February, subscribe to our newsletter, or follow us on facebook or instagram to be informed when the 2024 dates are announced and hear about all the Splash news, year-round!